Wednesday, March 6, 2013

What I'm Reading: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style

I've made no secret of my Tim Gunn love. I've always liked him on Project Runway, and I love him even more now that I've read a few of his books. Right now, I'm reading A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style.


This book isn't quite as much fun as his others. This was his first book, so perhaps he was still trying to hit his stride. There are a lot of allusions to famous people who are, let's say, from his era, which makes it hard to follow his point if you don't know to whom he is referring.

It's also hard to pinpoint what this book is about. I'm about halfway and I can't tell you. It's probably a good guide for anyone who is fed up with their current closet, and doesn't have a clue what to do about it. Since I have a fairly good handle on that kind of stuff, I guess there isn't much in here for me. 

BUT. I don't really care if it's not for me, because who doesn't love Tim? I watched him on makeover week on The Biggest Loser, and he was so kind and genuine with everyone. I wish he had his own show. Not a makeover show, just a "let's follow him around all day" sort of show. Reading his books showed me that he's very down-to-earth and someone you'd love to have as a friend.

If you're looking for a good Tim Gunn book to read, I recommend Tim Gunn's Fashion Bible. It's interesting, and not too high-falutin' that I couldn't follow all his references. Leave the guide to style on the library shelf for someone who really needs it : )

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please feel free to comment below.

Newsletter sign up

.