Wednesday, March 20, 2013

What I'm Reading: Sewing Lingerie

Last week, I took AB to the library, and she was not happy about it. She's at an age where she wants to grab everything. She's particularly fond of books (mostly of damaging them) so I ended up with a frantic 5-minute grab-n-go session amongst the sewing books. Whenever that happens, I don't have time to browse, so I typically end up with some duds as well as some winners. One of the winners this week was Sewing Lingerie. Yes, it's super old, and yes, it's highly specialized, but I LOVED this book.


I've read a few other books in this Singer Sewing Library collection (my husband got me the one about sewing knits for Christmas), and I've enjoyed them all. Even though the photos are dated, Singer always finds a way to simply and succinctly explain techniques and terms. Reading this book made me want a huge pile of lace in order to make undies, camis, and slips. If you're looking for a resource for these kinds of items, see if your library has this book.

The book covers lace techniques ranging from cut-outs to appliqués to using it along hems. There are so many varieties that you'll be sure to come up with lots of easy ideas. I haven't worked with lace very much, but I want to, and after reading up on it, it's not so scary. As soon as I was done reading, I spent a good hour on ebay, zoned out and looking at all the pretty stretch laces. Drool...

In addition to underthings, the book also goes over related items like pajamas, robes, boxer shorts, traditional kimonos, and sleep bras. I may have to pick up one of those cheap used copies of the book on Amazon. And coming tomorrow, a project inspired by what I've read!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please feel free to comment below.

Newsletter sign up

.